Some very useful tips and tricks for Mac OS X users : Part 1
Please Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Those who have been using Mac for long time, already know many of the tricks. However, we are going to discuss some very useful tips and tricks for Mac users that will be beneficial for new as well as Mac Users.
How to Create a Non-Admin
- Go to your Mac’s System Preferences (just click on the apple icon on the top left corner and select System Preferences).
- Click the Users and Groups option.
- Click on the Lock Icon on the bottom left corner of the Users and Groups window. You will have to enter the Admin password to unlock it.
- Now click the + icon to add a new user and select it as Standard if you want someone else to use this computer too. Or use the Sharing only if you are trying to make a profile to access this computer’s file from another computer.
How to Preview images documents, videos or audios before uploading or attaching in mail or anywhere online
If you are trying to upload any picture or documents online, or just assume that you are attaching a file in Mail, and you are in attachment window and selecting a file. If you want to preview before attaching them, simple select the file and Press Space Bar from keyboard. A small window will pop up, you can see/watch/listen then file. Now you got the right file, you can upload them.
How to insert One or Multiple Emojis’ Emotions or Symbols
Whether you are creating a document, sending mails or messages or commenting so Social Media, you can insert Cool Emojis and Symbols. To do that follow these steps;
- Click on Edit (located in Menu Bar at the top)
- Click on Emojis & Symbols
- Now click on any Emotion you want to insert
- If you want to insert multiples Emotions, please hold CTRL key and then keep clicking on as many emotions as you want
- Shortcut Key to open Emojis & Symbols is CTRL+Command Key+Space Bar
How to turn off startup sound in Mac
There is no option is OS X Settings to turn off startup sound. This is only possible via Terminal or third party software. Ignore third party software and use Terminal, as it’s a cake walk.
- Open Terminal (Type Terminal in Spotlight Search, and open it. Or Go to Launchpad –> Other –> Terminal
- Type this command (You can copy and paste there) : sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80
- Press Enter, and you need to type Administrator Password, and then Press Enter again
- You won’t get any confirmation message, but it’s done!
- Sometimes it does make sound in first Startup, but it will not from the next time when you boot or restart
How to get Apple Watch Screen Saver for you Mac
Apple Watch Screen Saver can be set on Mac as well. It comes with various watch interfaces and colors to choose from. We have already written the process about installing and activating Apple Watch Screen Saver on Mac. Please read our article about Apple Watch Screen Saver for Mac.
How to install Apps on Mac / OS X from Unknown sources or allow any app to install
It is not recommended to do so as it involves risks of getting the system infected from Virus, Malware or Adware. However, if you want to do so, please read this article as we have already mentioned there. The only change you need to make is; Select Anywhere under Allow Apps Downloaded From option.
How to Create Microsoft Office Compatible File on Mac without third party apps
Microsoft office compatible files, like .doc, .xls, .ppt etc. can be created on Mac without the help of third party apps. You can use such file on OS X as well as Windows PC. Please read this article as we have already explained earlier : Create Microsoft Office compatible files in Mac
Spotlight does more than normal search
Spotlight can be accessed with shortcut key Command+Space Bar. It can search any app, image, audio, video or any files that you have stored on your Mac. However, Spotlight can also be used as calculator for simple calculation, Currency Converter, Word Definition etc.. It shows preview for each file, so when you search a contacts, it shows contact details. So you can make Facetime calling or send email clicking on the link given there.
How to enable Three Finger Dragging
Three Finger Dragging is not there in Mac’s Trackpad Settings. You can give your trackpad and finger little relief by doing this. Once this feature is enabled, you can hold any app or file with three fingers, drag and drop it anywhere you want. If it is not enabled, you usually click on any app, hold it, and move other finger to drag. Follow these steps to enable three finger dragging on Mac;
- Open System Preferences
- Click on Accessibility
- Click on Mouse & Trackpad
- Click on Trackpad Options
- Check Enable Dragging, and Select Three Finger Drag from drop down box
- Click Ok, and you are done!
How to record MacBook’s or iMac’s Screen
To record you MacBook’s or iMac’s screen, just open QuickTime Player –> Click on File –> New Screen Recording, or use shortcut key cmd+ctrl+N. Now you will get a small QuickTime Windows, click on red button to record. Once you do that you can drag the cursor and select a part of the screen that you want to record, or just click anywhere to record whole screen.
Related; Learn many ways to type Degree Sign on Mac
How to record iPhone’s or iPad’s Screen via Mac
This is something that we have already discussed earlier. It doesn’t require any tricks, additional or third party apps. You have already got this in your Mac and iOS, but you only need to know how it can be done. Please read our article about How to Record iPhone’s Screen for step by step guide.
Invert Color on Mac for better readability in Sunlight
If you are having difficulty to read anything on Mac, you can use inver color option. It usually makes the whole screen black, and change the text color into White. Just like the image you can see below. You can invert color using the shortcut key cmd+alt+ctrl+8, but before you do that enable invert color option from System Preferences –> Keyboard –> Shortcuts –> Accessibility –> Check the invert color box. One you do that use shortcut key and the color on the screen will change
Paste texts without formatting
If you have copied some texts from anywhere that includes, Bold, Italic, Color and any formatting, and you want it to paste in your mail or anywhere as normal text without format, Just press ctrl+shift+v.
Well, this a part of the many mac tips. We will write more articles soon. We hope you have learnt something new today. Please share it with your friends as well if you like it.