How to Run Hardware Test on Mac and Check if Fan is Working Fine
There are times when you would like to test if the Hardware of your MacBook or iMac is working fine. It could be because your system ran into an issue, like unexpected shutdown, not booting normally, and so on…
The Hardware test can be done without using any third party application. The feature is already added in the system and to you have to use quick simple steps to start that test. Don’t worry, it’s not going to take so much of your time.
How to Run Hardware Test on MacBooks and iMacs running macOS or another version of Mac OS X
- Shut Down the Mac and hang on for a while to make sure that System is completely shut down.
- Press the Power Key to start the system and quickly press and hold the D key. You have to keep holding D key unless you get the screen with some options (The language selection screen).
- Now you will see a language selection screen, use Arrow Keys to select a language. After the selection, it will have a tick mark (just like shown in the below screenshot). Now press the Enter key to start the test.
- Now the Hardware Test should start and you will see the following screen telling you the estimated time to finish the test.
- You will see the error and suggestion after the test is complete. It will also show you the serial number of your MacBook or iMac. In my case, I am using a 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina that is supposed to have 85W of Power Adaptor connected, but I am using a 60W Power Adaptor that is used by MacBook Pro 13-Inch Models. So I am getting this warning on the test result screen.
Note: If you want to start the Mac Normally and not use the Boot options, then do not click on the Get Started Option. You should rather hit the Shut Down or Restart option to start as usual. If you have already click on Get Started, you can then just wait to allow the screen to load. Once loaded, you can hit the Apple icon on the top right corner and select the Restart option.
How do I test if my MacBook’s or iMac’s Fan is running or Working Properly? Or How to Manually Start the Fan to test if it’s working?
Just follow the steps mentioned above to run the Hardware test and it will start the Fan of also during the test as it also tests the Fan.
Also check some other great Mac Tips.