How to Save, View and Share GIFs From iPhone
New iPhones allow capturing live photos that come to life after you press firmly on the image. However, Saving, Viewing and Sharing GIFs from iPhone is still kind of trouble. So we will learn what options an iPhone user has to deal with GIFs (Animated Images).
How to Save GIFs on iPhone
You can use any application or even Internet browser to Save GIFs on your iPhone. It can be saved the same way you save a still image. These methods can be used;
- Tap on image and hold for a while to get Save option.
- If you are viewing an image on webpage, tap on Share icon, and select Save option.
- You can also use a third party application, e.g. GIPHY to save GIFs on iPhone.
How to view GIFs on iPhone
When you save a GIF on your iPhone, it gets saved, but it still looks like a still image. You can launch Photos app on your iPhone to view saved GIFs, but it won’t animate. You will have to use a third party application that allows viewing GIFs.
Use a GIF Viewer or GIF Player App
- Download this free application from App store.
- Launch the application, and allow GIF Viewer to import photos.
- That’s it, and it will bring all GIFs from photos app to GIF Viewer App.
- Now you can view GIF files animating, and can also share right from this app.
If you use a dedicated GIF app, e.g. GIPHY, you can view GIFs, and share, but you will still need a GIF Viewer or GIF Player application to view those GIFs that you download from GIPHY to your iPhone.
How to Share GIFs from iPhone to Social Messenger app, Tumblr, and any other GIF supported apps
Myth : iPhone saves GIFs as a still image, and it will be shared without animation effect. That’s not true at all. If you are saving a GIF, iPhone saves it as GIF, but that doesn’t animate. When you share it on a platform that supports GIF, it will animate for sure.
Using Stock Photos Application
You can share the same way you share a normal photo. However, you need to remember the GIF file you have saved. Simply Tap on Photo, tap share icon, select, Message app, Social Messenger or Social Media app and share. It will start animating after you share it. There is no special trick.
Using GIF Viewer Application
If you are using a GIF viewer application, like the one we mentioned above, it shows only GIF files and also animates. So you will be sure about the file you are sharing. Follow these steps to share using this GIF Viewer App.
- Launch GIF Viewer App.
- Tap on the GIF you want to share.
- Tap on Sharing icon, and select Share option.
- Now select Messages, Hangout, Tumblr or any application that supports GIFs.
- Share/Post it, and you are done.
Using GIPHY or other GIF Apps
There are some applications, that allow saving and sharing GIFs right from the App without the need of saving them to Photos app.
- Download GIPHY from the app store.
- Launch the app, and browse GIFs that you want to share.
- Tap on any image you want to share.
- Tap the options icon (icon with 3 dots)
- Tap on Sharing icon
- Now you can share or save, it’s up to you.
Here is a video that you can watch if you face any issue;