What is IBM SPSS Statistics App? Is There Any Free Alternative?
The R Project and SPSS both apps are well known for statistical analysis. However, SPSS is not a free application, and I have seen many users asking for the download link of a free or crack version of this app on social media and forums. As far as I understand, a person doing such complex statistical analysis must be earning enough to afford a software, but using a cracked version puts you as well as your data at risk. You may not know what malware or virus that cracked version of the app will bring. If you can’t afford or don’t want to pay for IBM SPSS app, use an alternative, like R Project.
What is SPSS ?
SPSS stands for Statistical Package for the Social Science. This app was created in 1968 by SPSS Inc., and it was known as SPSS Statistics. IBM acquired it in 2009, and now the app is marketed as IBM SPSS Statistics.
SPSS was primarily being used for statistical analysis in Social Science, but now it is also used by Survey Companies, Government, Education Researchers, Health Researchers, and so on…
Features and Pricing of IBM SPSS Statistics
- Read/write text, Excel, SAS, and more; no size limits.
- Descriptive statistics, data prep, and graphing.
- Programmability/extensibility; supports R/Python.
- Bivariate statistics procedures, factor and cluster analysis.
- Linear, non-linear, ordinal, logistic and 2SLS regression.
- Drag and drop interactive tables with export to Microsoft/PDF.
- Generalized linear modeling and survival analysis.
- Advanced data preparation, decision trees, and forecasting.
- Single/multiple missing value imputation.
- Exact tests, complex sampling, bootstrapping, SEM.
The features we have mentioned above are included with premium subscription. IBM offer SPSS Statistics in four types of subscriptions;
- Base : $1,170
- Standard : $2,610
- Professional : $5,240
- Premium : $7,820
- Free Trial : Available
You can visit IBM’s official SPSS Subscription page for more information.
IBM SPSS Statistics is available for following platforms;
- Mac OS X
- AIX (based on UNIX)
The R Project : A Free IBM SPSS Statistics App Alternative
Some of you must be surprised to see the pricing of SPSS Statistics, and the amount needs to be paid each year. The R Project is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics.It is a GNU Project, and very similar to S language. There are still differences, but R can run most of the codes written for S.
Some features of The R Project for Statistical Computing
- A wide variety of Statistic Techniques that includes time-series analysis, classical statistical tests, linear and non-linear modelling, classification, clustering etc.
- An effective data handling and storage facility.
- A suite of operators for calculations on arrays, in particular matrices.
- A large, coherent, integrated collection of intermediate tools for data analysis.
- Graphical facilities for data analysis and display either on-screen or on hardcopy.
- A well-developed, simple and effective programming language which includes conditionals, loops, user-defined recursive functions and input and output facilities.
An advanced user can even write C code to manipulate R objects directly. It allows to link Fortan, C and C++ code to R and call them at run time. Along with being a Statistics System, R can be extended via 8 available packages supplied with distribution, and many additional packages are available on CRAN (Comprehensive R Archive Network) family of Internet sites that cover a wide range of modern statistics.
The R Project is available for the following platform
- Mac OS X
The R Project is a free software, you can download and use without any restriction. If you like the app, you can consider donating some money to support and encourage developers. It will help them to make this good app even better.
Visit R-Project.Org to download the app, or to know more about this app.