How to turn your Android Phone into an Ubuntu Phone
Please Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
We have already used different Operating Systems. Whether it is Android or Windows, they are unique in them. How about the Ubuntu mobile? As we know, Ubuntu (Linux) is a famous free OS for computers, but you won’t get a mobile which is featured with full Ubuntu OS. You can make your mobile works like Ubuntu via the Ubuntu launcher at the moment. It is still in development phase, but you can still download and use it. Android phones, like HTC One, LG G Flex and devices are not compatible, Only Google Nexus Device (Nexus 4 and Galaxy nexus) can work with this. Users with Nexus mobile will be glad, and the rest of the users need to wait. They are even trying to make an app which will work across web, mobile and desktop. It will be really amazing when we can use the same app on any devices. It changes your Android phone to a Linux phone without affecting the performance of your mobile. The best thing you will experience that you don’t even need to reboot the mobile to use Ubuntu, you can simply switch from Android to Ubuntu easily. They both run at the same time. There is no requirement for virtualization or emulation. Linux kernel, which is being used in both Ubuntu and Android. So it makes this process smooth and simple.
Now, you will have a fast-evolving app ecosystem as Ubuntu, and you are going to love it. There is nothing to be afraid to use it, because you always have the option to go back to Android. Now, let me tell you what all you can do with this Ubuntu on your Android phone.
- Primary and secondary, both the cameras work well.
- SMS and Phone calls work fine.
- WiFi and the connection to GSM network
- Shell and core apps
- The device can be accessed through the Android Developer Bridge tool.
- The left edge of your Android phone can be used to display your favorite app what you use a lot, and can be launched quickly from there.
- Every photo you take, it gets instantly uploaded to your Ubuntu cloud account so that you can access it from any device you use, like iOS, Windows, and Android.
- Now, Ubuntu Dash makes the search better than before, search anything you want. Ex: when you are looking for music, you can just type it to find. It looks for that on your mobile storage as well online. So, if you don’t have it on your mobile, you can find it, and save it on your phone.
- Like Android, you can swipe from top edge to bottom to see the notification.
- Left to right swipe will show all the running apps, and swiping from the right will take you to the last app you were using.
- Ubuntu HUD makes your phone to be your virtual assistant. Find any command from the menu and let the mobile find it itself. It can even start editing a document on your command.
- Swiping from bottom to top helps you to control the app: hide an app or reveal it on the screen.
The best thing about Ubuntu I like is that they are open, and they share their code openly, share their future release plans. If you are a developer, you can start building phone design and apps for Ubuntu. Ubuntu is fully customizable, and you can customize your phone the way you want. Before you embrace Ubuntu for your mobile, you need to understand that this is not a complete OS, but still in development phase and will be used with Android OS. All the features of Ubuntu will not be available, and the process of installation can delete all the data of your phone. So please don’t forget to take backup. If you have a computer installed Ubuntu on it, it can communicate with your phone and you can get the most of Ubuntu. There are some steps you need to follow to make it work. Please visit Ubuntu for the complete instruction.
Technology is running faster than the thought, Ubuntu mobile might be launched anytime. Keep an eye on it to enjoy the full features. As far as compatibility is concerned, Please have a look at the below picture. This is a chart shared by Ubuntu on their website.