How to Change the Default App to Open a File Type on Mac
Please Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
If a file is supported by more than one application, Mac or even Windows opens it selecting any app they like and also set it as the default app. So whenever you try to open such files, your computer will use the same application to open the app.
For example: If you have a Pages app, as well as Microsoft Word, installed on your Mac, opening MS Word Files (with .doc or .docx extensions) could be a little tricky. Usually, Mac tries to open .docx files with MS Word application. If it is not happening or you just want to select Pages app as the default app to open MS Word files, you can easily do this. Let’s learn how it can be done.
How to select a default app to open a file type (file types are determined by their extension)
- Right-click on a file and select Get Info option
- You can here see the File Extension if you don’t already know it. Expand the Open With option if it is not already expanded.
- Select the application from the drop-down list that you want to use to open the application.
- Now you have to click on the Change All option. This will make sure all the files with the same extension will use this application now onwards. If you don’t do so, it will only be application one file.
- Now click on the Continue option to finish the changes you just made.