Top Free Weather Applications For Android and iPhone
Weather applications are very useful when you want to check weather of your location as well as any other location. You can add as many cities as you want, and keep yourself updated with the current weather and forecast. These days most of the smartphones, whether it’s Android or iPhone come with preinstalled weather app. However, you can still install third party apps if you think the stock app lack some features that you really need.
Why someone should use a weather app
- To know weather status of current location, including wind, pressure, rain, temperature etc..
- To see weather forecast of the week. This can help you make plan your trip.
- Weather apps also let you add many location, and you can keep yourself updated with the weather status and forecast of many locations at the same time.
Best free weather apps for iPhone and Android Devices
The Weather Channel
The weather channel is a very popular weather app with over 50-million downloads in Google Play Store. If you are an iPhone user, you should know that iPhone’s stock weather app is power by Weather Channel, but it doesn’t show as much information as Weather Channel app does. Apple has added limited features to prevent battery consumption.
Features of The Weather Channel App
- See current weather status and temperature with cool graphic.
- View weather forecast; hourly, daily, weekly, up to 15 days.
- Watch video and read articles for weather related news.
- Get real-time National Weather Service notifications of severe weather, like Flood, Storm, Lightening, Hail etc..
- You are allowed to add up to 10 locations to see the weather information, if you want to add another location, you will have to remove one.
I hope you already know about Yahoo Weather application. It is one of the most popular weather app that can be downloaded for iPhone as well as Android devices, Did you know that iPhone’s Weather app was previously powered by Yahoo? However, Apple has switched from “Yahoo Weather” to “The Weather Channel.” That doesn’t mean Yahoo has lost its importance. It is still a very useful application. Yahoo weather app was also the winner of Apple Design award in 2013, because of its cool graphical weather information view.
Here are some features of Yahoo Weather App
- Get detailed weather information just by scrolling down.
- It Shows weather forecast for up to 10 days, also includes hourly forecast.
- View weather information with stunning Flickr image. You can also submit your image to Yahoo Weather by Joining #projectweather on Flickr.
- Add up to 20 cities/locations, and see their weather information by swiping left or right.
- See animated view for sunrise, wind, rain, pressure etc..
- Get push notification for weather updates.
Fahrenheit Free Weather App (iOS Only)
Like other application, this weather app also shows the current weather as well as forecast for up to 10 days with detailed information for every 3 hours. It comes with optional map integration that can be enabled of disabled. You can add many cities to get weather information, and swipe on the screen to switch to other city. The unique thing about this app is “showing temperature on the app icon.” You can see the current temperature on app icon without launching the app, but you will have to keep the background refresh enabled for this app. The free version of the is ad supported, and you can upgrade to premium ad-free version for $0.99 only. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
AccuWeather app shows more information about weather compared to many other apps. I have tried this app on iPhone as well as the Android device. However, the user interface for iOS is much better than Android. On iPhone, you see a cool graphic view for weather-related information that shows current as well as feels like temperature, and you can swipe up, left and right for detailed information. On Android devices, you get various options in the menu that you can select, or swipe on the screen to go to a different option.
Features of AccuWeather app
- See temperature and feel like temperature in beautiful graphical view.
- View animated weather radar and maps for tracking the storm’s path, but weather radar feature is limited to US, Canada, Japan, and Northern Europe.
- View many other weather-related details, like Humidity, UV, Wind Speed, Wind Gusts, Wind Direction, Cloud Cover, Dew Point, Pressure etc.
- Get hourly forecast and daily forecast for up to 15 days.
- Add many cities, and swipe on the screen to see their weather information.
- Watch top trending weather related videos.
WeatherBug : Forecast & Radar
WeatherBug doesn’t bug you, but it serves with useful information related to weather. This app can be installed on Android as well as iOS devices. These are the features of the WeatherBug app;
- Get real-time pin-point forecast and hourly weather report.
- Get the weather forecast for up to 10 days.
- Live weather & traffic camera.
- Add multiple cities, it supports over 2.6 million locations.
- Get Spark Lightning Alerts, hurricane forecasts, and alert of the severe weather forecast.
- See real-time traffic condition that can help you plan your journey.
Stock Weather App : Why should someone prefer stock weather app?
Stock weather app means the app that has come preinstalled with your smartphone. If you already have a weather app, you should prefer to use it, and avoid installing other weather apps as long as you don’t need. Stock apps are well optimized for your smartphone, and it works without any issue. Stock weather app consumes less battery compared to any third party app. If you just want to check weather condition and temperature of different locations, stock weather app should be enough.
The disadvantage of using a weather app
The weather app is very useful, but it keeps running in the background and uses GPS/Location. GPS has always been the worst feature as far as battery consumption is concerned, so weather app decreases the battery life for sure. Apart from this, there is no other harm.
How to avoid more battery consumption with the weather app
- Don’t install many weather apps. If the stock app is not enough for you, install only one third-party app.
- If you don’t need to use the weather app all the time, keep location feature off for the weather app. You can add locations manually to weather app.
- Keep background app refresh off for weather app it will boost battery life, and will also help you save data.