What is Pedometer? Best Free Pedometer Apps for Android and iPhone
What is Pedometer?
Pedometer keeps the record of the footsteps taken during travel by detecting the movement of hands, hips/legs. Pedometer used to be a separate device (you can still buy), but now most of the mid-range and high-end smartphones are pedometer ready. So you may hardly find people who buy a separate pedometer instrument these days.
Pedometer for iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, please check the health app that Apple launched with iOS 9. The health app comes with many great features, and one of them is Pedometer. This feature keeps counting the steps you have traveled/walked. It works in the background, so you don’t have to do anything after setting up the app for the first time. Along with steps count, it also tells the flights/stairs you have climbed.
Pedometer for Android Devices
If you are using an Android Phone, your device may also have an app to work as a pedometer. For example, many Samsung Smartphone has preinstalled S Health application that comes with many health-related features, and Pedometer is one of them.
So if you own a device that already comes with Preloaded health app, you may not need to install any third party application. There are many SmartBands and Smartwatches that also come with Pedometer feature, and those gadgets can be paired with Smartphones to see the data on a large display. If you don’t have Pedometer or Health app installed on your Smartphone, you can use any of these apps.
Best Free Pedometer Apps for Android and iPhone
Pedometer plus Weight Loss and BMI Tracker
This app has been developed by Pacer Health inc., and it is available for iOS as well as Android devices. Along with English, this app also supports many other languages. It works without any additional gadget, and it works without registration. When you launch the app for the first time, it asks for some detail to define your profile, but you may skip it. Here are some of the very useful features of this app.
- It records a number of steps whether you have the Smartphone in your pocket, purse or hand.
- It also tells the distance you have walked/traveled, active time, calories etc..
- Users can also use GPS to track your biking, walking or running on the Map.
- You are allowed to create a group, add your friends and family members, and compare your daily activity.
- This app lets you set goals, and keep you motivated to achieve them.
- It syncs health-related data with iPhone’s Health app as well as MyFitnessPal.
Pedometer – Perfect for walking and dieting
This is another application that can be downloaded by Android and iOS users. The app is free to download and use, and it doesn’t require registration as well. Once the app is installed, launch the app, and tap on START button to start tracking. It records the steps count, calorie, distance you walked, active time etc.. You can tap on Steps, Calorie or other information to display detailed view in Graph. Data is shown for individual days, week and month. There are also some customization options to Adjust Sensitivity, Change Theme etc..
Runtastic Pedometer Step Counter & Walk Tracker
This Pedometer app is sold by Runtastic on Google Play and App Store. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android Devices. Here are the features of this Pedometer app;
- It detects the steps, and keep the count for free.
- Get to know the burned calorie during activity.
- It tells you the Speed and the distance you walked our traveled.
- It notifies after every 1,000 steps you have completed.
- You can also share activity data on Social Media.
Activity Tracker By Bits&Coffee – iOS Only (Go easy on Battery)
Through insightful apps, technology is becoming pivotal in people’s quest to set and reach various health goals. ActivityTracker, an iOS app developed by Bits&Coffee, is nothing more than a testimonial to that statement.
ActivityTracker is particularly designed to help people let go of their sedentary behavior and embrace a more active lifestyle, by accurately providing essential information about their day-to-day activity. If you want to get in shape you need to know where you are and where you’re heading and this is where the app steps in.
ActivityTracker will monitor the steps you take, the flights of stairs climbed, the total amount of calories burned, the entire distance covered or the time you were actually active. This way you’ll be able to know your current level of fitness and the goals you need to set for yourself in order to get in a better shape.
Unlike other apps, ActivityTracker makes the whole fitness monitoring experience more enjoyable since it doesn’t require you to wear a fitness gadget. All you need is your iPhone, your good mood and drive to improve yourself and your physical state.
Meet Activity Tracker and some of its key features:
- Like other apps, it can also track Steps, calorie burnt, active time and traveled distance.
- It works without any wearable gadgets.
- It doesn’t use GPS/location, so it won’t drain battery like many other apps.
- You are allowed to import your historical data from Apple Health. So you won’t miss even your past activity data.
- You can also get Apple Watch extension to have a quick view on your Watch.
- View steps count right in the app icon without opening the app.
- It reminds before the end of the day to monitor your activity if you have met the goal.
- Pro version only : Hourly Activity Data for the last 7 days.
- Pro version only : Get a visual view of your weekly and monthly data.
A pedometer is very useful for those who want to be active and keep the track of their health activity. The data showed by such apps are probably accurate, but not perfect. Pedometer detects the movement and keeps increasing steps count. If you hold the Phone in your hand and shake it quickly, steps count will still increase, some users use this trick to fake data. If you are dancing, jumping etc. Steps count will still increase.
Related; GPS Speedometer Apps