Mac comes with great tools, like Quick Time and iMovie that let users to Edit Video, convert Video to Audio etc.. However, what can you do on Mac as far as Photo Editing is concerned? I am not referring to any third party app installation or using a website to edit photo, but the apps that you already have on your Mac.
Apps on Mac that works as Photo Editor
You already know about this App. When you double click on any image, it is opened with Preview app. You can click on the tool icon to edit a Photo.
Explanation of Tools (Left to right)
- Smart or Manual Cropping : The first 2 tools on the left let you Crop image. You can use smart selection or manual selection to crop an image. You can crop a square are, round area or even custom area from any part of the image.
- Drawing : The 3rd tool (pencil icon) let you draw anywhere on the image, you can change the color and thickness using the 3rd and 4th tool (from the right).
- Highlighter : The 4th tool with the circle and square icon let you make a Circle, Straight/Askew Line, Square, Arrow, Star Sign, Messaging sign etc.. This tool can also be used to Put a magnifier or highlighter on the image.
- Text on Image : The 5th tool with T icon let you write text anywhere on the image. Text Color, Border, Background, Font Size etc. can be changed using the first three tools (from the right).
- Signature : The 6th tool from the left can be used to sign. You get the option to sign using trackpad or use camera to capture signature from a White Paper.
- Adjust Color : The 7th tool let you adjust image color
- Change Resolution and Image Quality : This option let you change the height and width of a image, and you can also increase or decrease its Resolution (DPI)
- The last four tools don’t work alone. They are used to edit text, its color, format etc., increase or decrease the thickness or line or drawing, Change the Border & Background color etc.
ColorSync Utility allows to change picture’s height & Width, its quality and DPI. It can also be used to Adjust picture’s color, or make it black & white. Here is how to use Color SyncUtility to Edit an image on Mac;
- Right Click on any image, select Open With, and click ColorSync Utility.
- Now the image will be opened in ColorSync Utility app, and you can start editing.
- Click on the small image icon to resize the image, change its quality & DPI (Dots Per Inch).
- If you want to adjust color, like Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Sepia, Gamma, Exposure etc., Click on the Settings icon, and then a new Window will pop up with some options. Now you can play with the sliders to adjust color. If you make mistake, click on Reset Sliders button, and do it again.
- Don’t close the color adjustment window before saving the file. Click on File option in menu bar, and then select Save option. Please note that, clicking on Save option will replace the original image with the edited one. If you don’t want this to happen, choose Save As option or take a screenshot. In case of screenshot, put the brightness adjustment window aside by dragging it, and then capture screen.
- Launch iMovie App, Select Media tab, click on Down Arrow icon to add an image.
- Now you get some options to edit image or apply filters. For example, to apply a new filter on image, click on filter icon (icon with 3 round circles), then click Clip Filter option, and now you can select any of the available filter to apply on your image.
- You can move picture in a different angle or crop it using the Crop tool within iMovie app. Crop Tool is located on the right side of the video camera icon (check the screenshot).
- There are some more tools that you can use to adjust color.
- Once you are ready to save the file, click on arrow icon on the top right corner, and click Image option, Name your file, select destination folder, and click Save
Keynote is use to create presentation, but it also lets you export files in Image format. You can add style to your image via Keynote app.
- Dim an Image : Keynote let you dim an image. It’s kind of making the picture transparent.
- Add Border, Reflection, Pin, Frame, adjust color etc.. The images what you see in this article have been made in Keynote. Have a look on their edges, Keynote gave the image a little 3D effect with shadow.
- You can use Keynote app to combine 2 images. Pages app on Mac also allows to combine images on Mac.
To learn more, please read our dedicated article; Photo editing with Keynote.