How to convert .MOV / .M4V to .MP4 and .MOV / .MP4 to .M4V on Mac OS X
As we already know that QuickTime Player in Mac OS X is very useful. It can play videos, reduce video size/pixels, and can even trim the video. QuickTime Player also works as Screen Recorder for iPhone and Mac’s Screen. However, it saves all the files in .MOV format and there are many devices that don’t support it. The most common format that almost all devices can run is .MP4. However, you don’t need any third party application on your Mac to do convert a .MOV file to .MP4. We will tell you how this can be done.
How to Convert a .MOV or .M4V file to .MP4 in Mac OS X
- Launch iMovie app
- Make sure you are in Media Tab (there are 3 tabs; Media, Projects, Theater)
- Now Click on Down Arrow sign (looks like download icon)
- Now you will get a new window, select the file you want to convert
- Now Click once on the imported file, and then click on Up Arrow (Located at the top right corner)
- Click on File
- You will get some options with description. Make sure Add to Theater is not checked, else it’s going to take so much time to convert it. Click on Next
- Give a name to your file, and select the location where it will be saved
- Click on Save
- It will take some time depending on the file size you are converting. You can always check the process and estimated time to click on the round shaped processing button
That’s it. Once Processing is complete, it will be saved automatically to the location you selected while naming the file.
Note : Some people are having issue converting the video. However, I have tried multiple times on OS X 10.10, 10.11, and now tried 3 times on macOS 10.12. I am not sure what is creating this issue. However, a user on my YouTube video has commented that she was facing the same issue, but it worked when she clicked on the processing circle icon. That means, when the conversion is in process, you can click on process circle icon as you can see in the above image, and then wait for the conversion. Please do let me know by comment if this trick is really working.
If you are still facing any issue, watch this demo video
How to convert .MOV Video File to .M4V
This is something we have already discussed earlier in detail. You can convert multiple MOV files to M4V at once, Please read this article for instruction : Convert MOV to M4V.
Alternative Method to Convert Videos in any Format
You can use an app “WinX HD Video Converter” for Mac and Windows to convert videos in any format. This app supports even 4K videos and converts videos quickly. Along with converting video, the app can also be used to download videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and many other websites. It can even convert SoundCloud to MP3.